Sports, one of the favourite activities among all ages, already secured its place as a lucrative profession. Professional athletes now earn millions and hold their places among the richest people on planet earth. Besides immense popularity among fans, sportsmen also enjoy a lavish lifestyle that no one can even think of. And, it became only possible as there is a huge money flow now happening in the sports industry. Besides, people are now getting attracted to some of the richest sports in the world in 2022 while having fame and money on their minds.
According to recent research, the global sports business has already surpassed the US$1.3 trillion mark, with the US accounting for US$520 billion of that total. Taking all of this into account, here are the top ten world’s richest sports:
- A worldwide word used to refer to a series of competitive athletic events in which motorised vehicles are largely employed, whether for racing or non-racing competition, that is known as motorsport, or motorsport, is Motorsport, motorsports, or motor sport. Motorcycle racing is a phrase that may be used to describe several types of competition using two-wheeled motorised vehicles that fall under the umbrella term of motorcycle racing, including off-road racing such as motocross.
- In 2021, the worldwide market value of the car racing sector will have already surpassed $5 billion in terms of value. It is expected to surpass the $6.5 billion level by the end of the decade. And, as a result of that accomplishment, it has won a spot among the richest sport on the planet this year.
- By 2022, the average annual salary of racing stars was expected to reach $70,000 per year. Professional drivers, on the other hand, may earn up to $200,000 each race in major events like as the Grand American Rolex Series.
- Formula One, one of the most important events in the world of motorsport, brought in an estimated $1,830 million in revenue last season. Each Formula One team receives a fair portion of the $166.4 million prize money. Additionally, Sebastian Vettel has secured a spot among some of the top twenty highest-paid sportsmen in the world this year. He won a total of $42.3 million, of which $42 million came from tournament money.
- These days, there are only two styles of boxing that are widely practised across the world: amateur and professional boxing. The money speaks in professional boxing, but amateur fighters compete for recognition and awards in many contests, including the Olympic Games, to earn their place on the world stage. In the previous year, the promoters’ business generated a total of $348 million in revenue. Moreover, the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao battle garnered 4.6 million pay-per-view purchases, demonstrating the popularity of the event. The profits from the one battle amounted to US$410 million.
- Floyd Mayweather, one of the best boxers of all time, topped the list of the highest-paid athletes this year, collecting a total of $285 million in earnings. He received $275 million in prize money, with the remaining funds coming from sponsorships and other sources.
- This sport not only draws some of the world’s top athletes, but also attracts some of the world’s richest people. The tennis industry has a total market value of around US$6 billion, which has contributed to the sport’s rise to become one of the richest sports.
- However, despite the fact that prize money has plummeted since the epidemic, the average annual wage of a tennis player has stayed in the $300,000 area since then. Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka, and Serena Williams are among the richest tennis players in the world this year.
- Tennis also consider as one of most boring sports in the world.
- Only 15 nations actively participate in this sport at the international level, with the majority of them coming from Europe. However, because of the total financial flow, it most certainly deserves to be included among the richest sports this year. Cricket’s entire industry worth is estimated to have reached $6 billion this year, according to the latest estimates. The average monthly income of a professional cricketer will also reach over $60,000 by 2022, according to the ICC.
- The Indian Premier League, one of the world’s most popular cricket tournaments, brought in $633.62 million in revenue last season. Aside from that, each brand in that tournament generated an average of $79.2 million in income.
- Virat Kohli, the Indian captain and one of the finest cricket captains in history, will continue to rank among the richest Cricketer in the world in 2022. This year, he earned about $24 million, becoming the highest-paid professional cricketer in the world. Kohli earned the vast majority of his money, almost $20 million, from endorsement agreements with various companies.
- Golf, long seen as a wealthy man’s sport, has lately experienced a surge in popularity among the masses. It is not because of the fame, but rather because of the money that is associated with this sport. According to recent surveys, the overall worth of the golf sector has already surpassed $7 billion in the global marketplace.
- A professional golfer who competes on golfing circuits earns an average of roughly $80,000 per year on the tour. In addition, a few outstanding athletes are earning millions of dollars these days. The US Open, one of the most prestigious events on the PGA Tour, had a total prize value of $10 million last year, making it one of the richest sports. The top-finishing player from last year’s competition took home $1.8 million in prize money.
- Tiger Woods, one of the greatest golfers of all time, made $43.3 million in revenue last year, the highest of any of the sport’s leading players. He has earned $29.9 million in tournament prizes and $13 million in sponsorship agreements throughout the course of his career.
- People all over the world love football also called soccer. It has the highest market share of all sports. It has a total value of almost $600 billion, which is about 43% of the whole world’s financial sports market. Footballers who play in the Premier League now make an average of 1.5 million dollars a year, which is a lot.
- Another popular tournament, the MLS, pays its players an average of about $600,000 a year. In 2013, the Premier League earn $5,430 million in income. Each team in the league made an estimated $267 million in revenue.
- Cristiano Ronaldo & Lionel Messi. In the year, they are still in the top three high-paid footballers they both are the Richest Sportsperson in the World. During the whole year, Messi earned $111 million, and Cristiano Ronaldo earned $108 million, which is more than last year.
4. Ice Hockey:-
- Ice Hockey, Canada’s national sport and one of the most popular sports in the United States, is home to some of the world’s wealthiest sportsmen. According to recent figures, the worth of the ice hockey business has already surpassed $60 billion this year. Simply put to say, the United States & Canada own most of that market value. An NHL professional ice hockey player gets an average yearly salary of $2.2 million.
- And that statistic helped it win a spot among the world’s richest sports in 2022. The National Hockey League made $4,338 million in total income last year. Each NHL club receives its rightful share of $140 million. Connor McDavid, the cover hero of EA Sports NHL 18, earned $19 million this year.
- He received a salary of $15 million from his club. Additionally, he made $4 million in endorsement fees from Adidas, BioSteel, CIBC, and Rogers Communications.
3. American Football:-
- According to recent estimates, the worldwide sector is now worth approximately $200 billion.
- This year, the average salary of National Football League players reached $2.4 million. Needless to say, the franchise’s flagship players make far more. Last year, the NFL produced an incredible $11,394 million in revenue, the highest of any league in any sport.
- Additionally, NHL clubs earned an average of $356.1 million this year. Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford have established themselves as two of the year’s top ten highest-paid athletes. Ryan earned a total of $67.3 million this year, while Stafford pocketed $59.5 million.
- Although this sport has had enormous popularity in the United States since its inception, it was Michael Jordan who initially elevated the sport’s worldwide prominence. According to recent studies, the worldwide market worth of basketball has now been valued at $90 billion dollars.
- As of 2022, the average yearly salary of a player in the NBA is over $3.8 million, which is nearly double the previous level. Aside from that, they have a large number of endorsement agreements in their portfolios. During the previous year, the National Basketball Association earned $6,271 dollars in income. In addition, each NBA team produced $209 million in income for the current fiscal year, according to the league.
- Unsurprisingly, such figures helped it to clinch the second spot on our list of the richest sports in 2022. During the 2017-18 season, basketball star LeBron James made $85.5 million. He received a salary of $33.5 million from his club and earned an additional $52 million from endorsement agreements.
- Even though basketball is the richest sport in the world, it has a smaller market share than other sports. This is owing to the incredible average monthly wage earned by the players. A professional player who competes in Major League Baseball presently receives an average yearly pay of $8.5 million.
- Furthermore, the highest-paid players make far more than that. Baseball is now worth about $40 billion as an industry, according to Forbes. However, this sport is only actively practised by a few number of nations. During the previous season, Major League Baseball, the highest-level baseball competition, garnered $8,957 million in revenue. In addition, each club has produced an average of $298.6 million in revenue thus far this season.
- Clayton Kershaw, one of the top baseball players in the world, earned $34.5 million in the previous year. His club paid him an annual compensation of $33.8 million, which he received from them. Apart from that, he earned an additional $750,000 from his endorsement agreements in 2022. so we can say that baseball is the richest sport in the world.